Friday, September 29, 2006

Yes, I'm still alive

Well, I know I've been neglectful of my journal when my mom writes and ask's if I'm okay because she hasn't read any new entries since last Friday, lol.  She said that reading my journal keeps her updated on the daily grind of my life.  Okay, she didn't say "daily grind", that was me, lol.  As I told her it has just seemed near impossible to get on and complete an entry. 
 
I get started on it, collect the info I want to put in, but then something else gets my attention...usually a lil' person (all of 37 inches) pulling on me to get me to go dance to the music on the Disney channel, or perhaps trying to climb up the kitchen counter, or (as she likes to do now) hitting me on the bum with her new tennis shoes.  You know the new shoes they make for kids that light up whenever they take a step?  So she will stand there smacking my bum with them, getting them to light up and just laughing her little tush off.  "Yeah Rylie, that's real funny."
 
We are also in the process of trying to get little Miss Needs an Attitude Adjustment used to the idea of going potty.  Rylie is probably the most strong willed of any of my kids and I do believe she is going to make this a real challenge for us.  Yeah, I know there are a lot of techniques out there.  Timers (got David trained in 4 days with that one), cheerios (a boy thing), treats, etc.  I just have a feeling we are going to have to pay real close attention to Rylie and maybe go with her "schedule" on this.  Meaning, wait till she feels like it.  LOL
 
Anyway, my apologies for the lack of entries this week.  Okay, okay...for not making a single entry this week.  So it is time for me to make up for that with a few recipes and whatnot. 
 
So let's start off with an oldie updated for busy mom's.  This is super easy.
 
Quick Chicken and Dumplings
Prep Time: 10 min ; Start to Finish: 30 min   
Makes: 5 servings
Serve comfort-food classic chicken 'n dumplings the easy way--just two ingredients and ready to eat in just 30 minutes.
INGREDIENTS 
2 cans (18.6 oz each) Progresso® Rich & Hearty chicken pot pie style soup 
1 can (7.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits 
Chopped parsley, if desired 
1 .  In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly. 
2 .  Separate dough into 10 biscuits; cut each into quarters. Place biscuit quarters on top of hot soup. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. 
3 .  Cover; simmer 8 to 10 minutes longer or until biscuits are no longer doughy. Sprinkle with parsley.
 
Now, how about a fun little recipe that the kids can do.  I like this because they can choose what they want to put in this and make it all their own.  This would also be something fun that the kids could make and give as gifts to friends, neighbors, teachers, etc. 
 
 
Tasty Trail Mix
Serves: 10
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Filling and sweet -- try this good-for-you treat!


INGREDIENTS

Pick one ingredient from each list.

DRIED FRUIT
(1 cup chopped)
Raisins
Dried pineapple
Dried apple rings
Pitted prunes
Dried peaches
Dried apricots
Mixed dried fruit
Dried banana chips


CEREAL
(1 cup)
Bran Chex
Wheat Chex
Rice Chex
Corn Chex
Shredded wheat
Cheerios
Kix


NUTS & SEEDS
(1/2 cup)
Sunflower seeds
Mixed nuts
Peanuts
Cashews
Pecans
Walnuts


EXTRAS (Optional)
(1/2 cup)
Toasted soybeans
Popcorn
Pretzels
Chocolate chips
M & M candies
Peanut butter chips
Butterscotch chips


DIRECTIONS

Mix well and store in an airtight container.

NUTRITION INFO

Calories: 345
Fat: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Protein: 14.5 g
 
And how about a simple, and I mean it when I say simple, Divinity recipe.  My mother in law sent me the link for this.  Thanks Cathy!  The recipe comes from a site called Northpole.  It's a cool little site and if you want some fun things to do for the holiday season you should really check it out.
 
 
Easy Divinity
Makes 24

1 small box commercial white frosting mix
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound box confectioners sugar
1 cup pecan pieces

Boil water. Mix in dry frosting mix, corn syrup and vanilla in water. Beat mixture on highest mixer speed for about 5 minutes. (When ready, the mixture forms stiff peaks.) Gradually stir in sugar while mixing on low speed. Blend in pecans. Spoon the mixture by teaspoon onto a cookie tin lined with waxed paper. Allow to sit uncovered. Once the mixture feels firm to touch, turn over, cover tin and allow to stand overnight.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I got this in an email this past week and thought it was cute and wanted to share it with ya'll. 
 
The World's Shortest Fairy tale

Once upon a time, a girl asked a guy, "Will you marry me?"  The guy said
"No."

And the girl lived happily ever after and went shopping, dancing, drank
margaritas, always had a clean house, never had to cook, stayed skinny
and farted whenever she wanted.

The End.

And you thought it was difficult being single!
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I promised pictures of my painting in the house and finally got them uploaded, so here they are.
 
 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It is kind of hard to get a really good picture of what the color of the paint really looks like.  In the evening it looks so good, the lights casting on it give it this real warm, cozy glow.  You just wouldn't believe the difference it makes in here.  In the before pictures you can see all the old paneling that was on the walls, and where there wasn't paneling was this old 1970's style wallpaper...yuck.  So I painted all the paneling white and painted the smooth walls with the golden tan paint.  It makes the place seem so much bigger, warmer and just clean looking. 

Well, I hear the wee one moving about, I better go check.  I hope ya'll have a great weekend!  Take care.
Hugs!
Preview

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom keeps up with me through my journal too!  LOL she worrys if I miss a day writing in it! Hugs! Barbara

Anonymous said...

LOL.  That's funny how your mom keeps tabs on you.  ~ Mike

Anonymous said...

loved the painting honey knew you could do it the whole house looks great hope you help me with mine when time comes love you love mom b

Anonymous said...

great to see you back!  and the house looks great!!!
tina

Anonymous said...

Great job with the make over. Most diffinitely warmer and inviting. Great color choices.

Good luck with the potty training.

Toodles,
Tia

Anonymous said...

The makeover is coming along wonderfully!  Riley is a wonderful and good excuse to neglect anything.  ;o)  - BarbarA

Anonymous said...

Well this entry was worth the wait.  I have been trying for a long time to make decent chicken and dumplings so will definitely give this recipe a try.  I love trail mix so know I will like that recipe.
What a cutie Rylie is... yea sometimes ya gotta just wait for them to be cooperative. The more you push the more they resist.  It will happen.
Wow great redecorating job.  That is something I DON"T have any talent for. The only decorations I have are the ones my family and friends get for me since they are tired of seeing my bare walls.
Jill