Thursday, December 7, 2006

                                Preview
 
These are home health remedies that have been emailed to me or that I found on the Internet.  I have not tried them all and do NOT guarantee the effectiveness of them.  If you try one and it works, or if you have one that works for you, please email me.  Thanks.
 
Anemia
  • Avoid drinking tea (regular, not herbal varieties) and coffee immediately after meals, as the tannin present in these interferes in the absorption of iron from the food.
  • Drink a cup of herbal tea mixed with 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses each day. This provides 80% of the iron needed in one day.
  • Foods high in iron: lean beef, lean pork, skinned poultry, shellfish, fish, liver, organ meats, egg yolks, pinto, kidney, lima, navy, chick peas, black-eyed peas, lentils, split peas, green peas, spinach, kale, collards, beet greens, chard, broccoli, raisins, prunes, figs, dates, dried peaches, dried apricots, nuts, peanut butter, whole grain breads.
  • Your body absorbs iron from meats easier than fruits and vegetables. To aid in the absorption of iron from fruits and vegetables, eat them with a good source of vitamin C.
This is an email message from Spark People.  I think, by now, most of us have heard this type of message before, but every now and again we need to be reminded of it.
 
Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else.  - Eleanor Roosevelt, human rights activist
 
Are you a good friend to yourself?

If you met yourself, would you want to stick around and talk? Are you the kind of person others can be proud of? Hopefully you are, because that's who will be with you for your entire life. Your values and beliefs create a pretty good picture of what you want to see in the mirror. To be proud of yourself, do everything you can to make real life look like that vision. Find people that have the qualities you want and learn from them. Becoming a person you like gives you the confidence that you're someone worth being friends with. There's also a flip side to the friendship coin- you also need to cut yourself as much slack as you do your friends. You have friends because you see the good in them, not the flaws. You like them the way they are, warts and all. You enjoy their company and root for them to be happy and do their best. Look at yourself the same way. To be a good friend to yourself, accept your blemishes, while still pushing yourself to reach your full potential. Don't harp on your weaknesses. Take another look in the mirror and be kinder this time.
 
I especially like the part where it says to cut yourself as much slack as you do your friends.  That is so true, for me anyway.  I know that I tend to cut everyone around me a mile of slack, yet I tend to think that I can't do anything right.  Even when I think that I did something pretty well, I always tend to compare myself to others or think that there was something I could have done better.
 
I don't know why I am that way.  Perhaps there is something to all that astrological stuff and it's just because I am a Capricorn, lol.  To answer the question that probably comes to mind when I reveal that I am a Capricorn...yes, I tend to make decisions based on logic, very stubborn and anal retentive. 
 
Well, I guess I'm not always logical.  More like I either am completely logical about a situation or my heart takes over and I am completely ruled by my emotions.  When it comes to that I realize that it would be better to be more in the  middle of the road.  LOL, see?  I just pointed out another way I could be better! 
 
What is good about being logical?  It helps me make fact based decisions.  Letting my heart rule?  It shows me that I am not completely cold and have fierce emotions.  Stubborn?  It takes me a while to get there, but when I get to that point I am able to quit letting people walk all over me (sometimes).  Anal retentive?  LOL!  Ray would say it sucks living with someone like that.  Well, the clean house and warm meals he probably appreciates, but the not forgetting (arguments, anniversaries etc) he probably doesn't care much for. 
 
I also tend to have a particular way I want things done.  Someone could do something, and it could be fine, but if it isn't the way I do it...I will wait till they leave and then go back and re-do it.  Ask Ray about the folding and placement of a lap blanket that was on my couch when we first started dating.  LOL  He loves to tell how he would fold that blanket up and put it on the couch at the end of the night.  Then when he would come over after work, he always noticed it was re-folded and put on the back of the couch a certain way.
 
Now, to dollar store psycho-analyze myself...I would say that this is a form of maintaining control to some degree.  There is so little that I have control over, except for the house cleaning.  So I stay in control of what I can by making sure things are the way I want them to be.  The same for my inexplicable need to re-arrange the furniture almost every time I run the vacuum cleaner.  Although that seems to happen more when I feel...well, like I have no control over the things happening. 
 
Yep, it is all about control for me.  Don't get the wrong idea.  I'm  not saying that I am a control freak.  As a matter of fact, it is because I feel so out of control...no, that doesn't sound right.  Because I feel like I have so little control, that I need to be in complete control of the things that I can. 
 
LOL, well...I think that is enough self-therapy for me today.  I tell you, every time I put one of these little email self help things in here, I just go off in some direction or other, don't I?  Nothing quite like revealing your naked soul for the whole world to see.
 
Have a great Thursday!
Hugs!
Preview

No comments: