Monday, September 10, 2007

Recipe--Three Herb Steak

Get out there and use that grill again before it gets too cold.  LOL, as if I ever stop using my grill.  I live in Ohio and there could be 3 feet of snow outside and you still might find me out there grilling.  Actually, its the best time to grill, at least I'm not standing there sweating and swatting at the dang skeeters!  This steak recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens.  I've had the rice recipe and can't remember where I got it, I think it was some cooking show.

                         Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
 
Three-Herb Steaks

Ingredients

1/2
  cup snipped fresh parsley
1/4
  cup olive oil
1/4
  cup snipped fresh basil
1
  Tbsp snipped fresh oregano
1
  to 2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1/2
  tsp. salt
2
  beef top loin steaks, cut 1 1/2 inch thick
2
  medium red or yellow sweet peppers cut into 1/2-inch rings, seeds removed
1
  Tbsp. Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions1. In a bowl combine parsley, 1/4 cup olive oil, basil, oregano, cracked black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Trim fat from meat. Rub half the mixture on both sides of steaks. Cover; refrigerate steaks 1 hour. Meanwhile, brush pepper rings with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper

2.
For a charcoal grill, grill steaks on the rack of an uncovered grill to desired doneness, turning once. (Allow 15 to 19 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees ?F) or 18 to 23 minutes for medium (160 degrees F)). Grill pepper rings next to the steaks the last 8 to 10 minutes of grilling, or until peppers are tender, turning once. Remove steaks from grill and sprinkle with remaining herb mixture. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
3.
To serve slice steaks across the grain. Serve with sweet pepper rings.
4.
Makes: 6 servings
 
Mmm, now just make up some rice to serve with the steaks and peppers and you have a meal. 
 

Almond Rice Pilaf

1 tablespoon butter
1/4 onion, finely chopped
1/4 Golden Delicious apple, finely chopped
2 cups apple juice
2 cups enriched long-grain instant rice
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

In a medium saucepan, melt butter and saute onion and apples over medium heat until soft. Add apple juice, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir in toasted almonds. Serve.

I just love cruising the web.  You can find such neat things.  For instance, last week Rylie had an appointment with WIC where they charted her height and weight.  She has gained 1/4 of a pound in the past 3 months...woohoo!  Last year she only gained 1 pound.  And it isn't like she doesn't eat. 

Although one would think that if they sat down to dinner with us.  She just doesn't care to sit andeat a meat and a couple of veggies.  She prefers to snack on cereal, or a bowl of peanut butter...yes, this child will actually have me put about an eighth of a cup, or so, of peanut butter in a bowl and then she'll eat it with a spoon.  Hey...it's protein and "good" calories (from what they tell me) so I let her do it.  She also likes to go get the bag of mini carrots out of the frig and walk around eating those.

Anyway, she is now 39 and a half inches tall and weighs about 31 pounds.  As the woman at WIC told me "she is just going to be tall and skinny".  I guess she'll just have to live with that, huh?  LOL 

So today I went to this one site to chart her height and weight and see what it said.  If I remember correctly, she is taller than 75 percent of kids her age and weighs less than 65 percent of kids her age.  Then I saw this link and clicked on it.  It was a Childs Height Predictor.  I thought "cool, lets check that out too". 

Based on her height at this age she could grow up to be 5'5.9" tall.  On another predictor (based on her dads and my heights) she could be 5'4.5" tall.  So somewhere around 5'5"...thats a decent height for a female...not too short and not too tall.  Heck, I'd kill for those 2", LOL.

Here's another interesting little tidbit from the world wide web.  Did y'all know that there is another Jill Corral out there?  Yep, and I bet she'd be just thrilled with this Jill Corral...LOL...NOT!  Because she is a feminist, I think lesbian, author.  I wonder what she would think if she found out the "other" Jill Corral is a stay at home housewife and mother to 4 children who writes about cooking and cleaning, etc.  LOL

Oh well...to each his, or her own.  I think it's great that there are woman out there in the trenches fighting for equal rights.  And it's great that those rights are available to me if I choose them, and when I did work.  Me?  I love staying at home with my kids.  I love being a housewife.  I love being a mommy. 

Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me.  Am I crazy for loving what I do?  I think it is so cool and awesome to get a batch of fruit and make homemade jelly.  I love making homemade bread.  Planning a party gives me a rush...maybe like business women get when planning a company takeover, lol.  I want to wear an apron. 

No, actually...a real apron.  The last time my mom and Cathy (sil) and I went to an antique store I was searching for a cool 50's style apron.  How weird is that?  Totally silly, but I cook and when I do I tend to be messy and spill stuff.  So an apron makes sense to me.  Come on...it's not like I'm wearing a poodle skirt, pearls and heels.  Although that might be fun one day.  LOL

Yeah...send the wee one to someones house for the night.  Have the ol' man come home from work and there I am wearing a skirt, heels and pearls...oh and my apron, with his dinner ready to go on the table.  Yeah...that could be fun.  Okay, maybe I'll just wear the apron and pearls.  LMBO!  Yep...Rylie would definately have to stay the night at someone elses house.

Have a great day & hugs to all my friends!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

 

No comments: