Friday, July 7, 2006

Breakfast recipe

I received this recipe in my email from SparkPeople.comIt sounds like a tasty breakfast casserole that would be perfect to prepare the night before and just put in the oven the next morning.  Great for when you have company for the weekend.  Just put some fresh fruit out with this and your "good to go".  Mmm, and maybe make a mimosa...I just love orange juice and champagne...what a great way to start the day, LOL.   

Breakfast Casserole
Serves: 8
A sure family favorite, make the night before and pop into the oven.


INGREDIENTS

12 ounces Light (50% less fat) breakfast sausage
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4-1/2 cups sourdough bread cubes or croutons
8 ounces shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 large whole eggs
4 egg whites OR 1/2 cup egg substitute
2 cups low fat milk


DIRECTIONS

1. Crumble sausage into a medium non stick skillet. Cook over medium heat until nicely brown, breaking up into bits with spatula as it cooks. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with canola cooking spray and set aside.

2. Add sausage to large bowl along with toasted bread squares, cheese, mustard powder and salt, if desired. Add whole eggs, egg whites (or egg substitute) and milk to mixing bowl, and beat on medium-low speed until smooth and completely blended.

3. Drizzle egg-milk mixture over the sausage and bread mixture; stir to blend. Pour into the prepared baking dish, spread top evenly, cover with foil, then chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake, covered in foil, for 45 minutes. Uncover the foil, and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes longer or until set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, this past weekend we went up to Ray's Aunt Ronnie & Uncle Steve's cottage on Saturday for some swimming, fishing and just get away from the house.  While we were there they cooked hot dogs and hamburgs on the grill.  They make the juiciest burgers, YUM!  I learned their secret and I am going to share it with ya'll.

Add wet bread crumbs and chopped onions.  Now I also add Worcestershire sauce and a bit of seasoned salt.  Uncle Steve says not to cook the burgers all the way through to keep them juicy.  But we have a small child and meat that isn't thoroughly cooked makes me a bit uneasy.  So I go ahead and cook them through, but I make sure not to over cook them.  =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to go along with those delicious hamburgers I like to make potato salad.  Me?  I peel and cut my potatoes...how ever many it looks like I will need.  I chopped onions, celery and boiled eggs.  I make a dressing with approx. 2 Tbls. vinegar, a couple scoops of REAL Mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste.  And taste I do...because I like it just a wee bit tart, so sometimes I add more vinegar, MmmHmm good. *edit* I was just re-reading this and realized that I forgot to say that I also add a few squirts of mustard.  =}

However, for those of you who are more health conscious here is a tip from RealAge that is 'spose to be better for you.  Me?  It's summer and I love my Potato salad just the way I make it.  LOL  But here is what they have to say...

Chill Out
"Healthy" and "potato salad" can go hand in hand.

Unfortunately, everyone's favorite summer side dish can send blood-sugar levels soaring, thanks to all the high-carb starch in spuds. Here's how to fix that: Boil the potatoes ahead of time and refrigerate overnight. The next day, make the dressing with vinegar and olive oil -- not mayo -- and mix with the potatoes. Both chilling and using vinegar neutralize starch's blood-sugar effects.
 
Thats it for today.  Have a good day and a wonderful weekend.
 
Hugs!
Preview

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That breakfast recipe sounds really good. I love hamburgers on the grill. We had some this past 4th. Have a great weekend!

Hugs, Angela