Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Late entries

I have caught Rylies infection.  I feel like total poo.  My head is pounding non-stop, it's hard to breath, my chest feels like its going to explode, and my throat feels like someone has been rubbing it with sandpaper.  Rylie seems to be bi-polar when it comes to being sick.  She seems fine one minute and is puking the next.  Lucky me, huh?  Unfortunately, I am unable to sleep as much as I want, like Rylie. 

As a matter of fact, yesterday I had to do 4 loads of laundry.  Rylie found a box of those mini white powdered donuts and apparently decided to take them into my bedroom.  Except she didn't eat them.  What I discovered was my bed covered in broken up bits and pieces of donuts.  There were crumbs and powdered sugar everywhere. 

So I pulled the bed apart and began doing laundry, just as the trick & treaters were arriving.  Meanwhile, Ray. being ever so helpful. sat at the computer while I re-made the bed in between ghosts, goblins and power rangers. 

Although he did help out and get Rylie a snack, a bowl of shredded cheese.  I prefer to give her slices of cheese, it's less likely to end up scattered all over the floor.  No worries though.  It did NOT end up on the floor.  No instead I found it all over the clean sheets I had just put on our bed.  Thanks Raymond!  Men can be so considerate and helpful when your feeling sick, huh?

Okay, onto the Recipe and Cleaning tip I failed to post on Monday and Tuesday.

The recipe is from Spark People.  As I've said before, I really love getting their recipe emails.  They always send such a different variety of recipes.   

Fresh Vegetable Stir-Fry
Serves: 4
Serve with a side of brown rice and you've got a tasty meal.


INGREDIENTS

Ingredients for sauce:
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Ingredients for vegetables:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup carrot slices
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped red or green pepper


DIRECTIONS

1. Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
2. In a large sauce pan or wok, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion, broccoli, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini and peppers, stir, cover the pan and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add sauce, bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, covered. Serve vegetables while hot.

Just for kicks, here is an interesting recipe (I believe it is also from Spark People) for Chocolate cake with Raspberry sauce.  It's a bit different.

Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Sauce
Serves: 8
Both chickpeas and mayonnaise keep this butter-less chocolate cake moist and nutritious.

INGREDIENTS

1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas) - cooked if fresh, drained if canned
2 eggs
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Powdered sugar


DIRECTIONS

1. Place rack on middle level and pre-heat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a small bowl, melt chocolate in microwave oven on medium power for two minutes.
3. In food processor or blender, combine beans, eggs and egg substitute, blending on high for thirty seconds. Add chocolate, sugar, mayonnaise and baking powder and process until smooth.
4. Pour mixture into 9" heart-shaped non-stick baking pan or a round pan, baking for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Cool and dust with powdered sugar and serve with pureed and strained raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries as a garnish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

                          Preview

A cleaning tip, or two, that you may find useful.  As I say on my Web page, these are tips that have been emailed to me, or that I have found on the Internet.  I have not tried all of them and do NOT guarantee their effectiveness.  If you do try one and it works, or if you have another one that works for you, please let me know.

Zippers: To make a zipper slide up and down more smoothly, rub a bar of soap over the teeth.

Have a great week and stay healthy!
Hugs,
Preview

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who ever said "it's the thought that counts?!"  LOL  Hope you and Riley are feeling better today.  -  Barbara