Sunday, November 18, 2007

Recipe--Healthy Gravy

I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow morning so I'm posting the recipe entry tonight.  This is a recipe for healthy gravy.  I thought it might come in handy with the upcoming holidays.

Portobello Gravy
This recipe is a tried-and-true favorite from EatingWell -- and it's low in saturated fat, low in cholesterol, and low in carbs, too.
Find other recipes at EatingWell.com.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped cleaned portobello or shiitake mushrooms
  • 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
  • 3 tablespoons tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/8 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to release their juices, about 10 minutes.

2. Add broth, tamari (or soy sauce), thyme and sage; simmer for 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir into the sauce and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season with pepper. If you prefer a smooth gravy, pass it through a fine sieve (discard mushrooms and onions). Serve hot.

I wish I could say that removing me from the Norvasc had stopped the dizzy spells.  Unfortunately, it hasn't helped at all.  I'll see what the doctor says tomorrow.  I'm hoping he'll find something else to explain all of this.  I really need to find some relief from these spells. 

Have a great day & hugs to all my friends!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the appointment goes well and you can get some relief from the dizzy spells. You're in my prayers.

Hugs, Angela