Monday, April 21, 2008

Recipe--Chicken dinner & dessert

Good Monday morning!  I can't remember exactly where I got the chicken  recipe, I think it was from Better Homes & Gardens. 

Chicken Breasts with Herbs
Ingredients
1/3  cup chopped Italian (flat leaf )parsley
1  Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1  Tbsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1  Tbsp. finely chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
3  Tbsp. butter
4  skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4  cup chicken broth

Directions
1. In small bowl stir together parsley, oregano, lemon peel, and garlic. Set aside. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat cook chicken in butter for 6 minutes or until browned, turning once. Transfer to plate. Remove skillet from heat; stir in half herb mixture. Return to heat. Add broth; bring to boiling, stirring to scrape up browned bits. Return chicken to skillet; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
3. Serve with pan sauce; sprinkle with remaining herb mixture. Makes 4 servings.

Make some chicken flavored rice, I can buy a package for about 69 cents at Aldi's.  I'd probably also make some broccoli too.  Broccoli is one of the few veggies Rylie will eat.  Weird...a 4 year old who loves broccoli.  Oh, and she likes to dip it in ketchup.  Yeah, I don't think she will ever work in Ramsey's kitchen, lol.

I found this recipe over at the Kraft website.  Sounds kind of yummy.

Strawberry Swirl Cake
Prep:  35 min.   Total:  1 hour 35 min. (incl. cooling)  Makes 16 servings, one slice each

1 pkg. (2-layer size) white cake mix
1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Strawberry Flavor
Gelatin
2/3 cup Breakstone's or Knudsen Sour Cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed
1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries


PREHEAT
oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Pour half of the batter into medium bowl. Add dry gelatin mix; stir
until well blended. Spoon half of the white batter and half of the pink batter, side-by-side, into each prepared pan. Swirl batters together using a teaspoon.

BAKE
30 min. Cool 30 min. in pans. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
MIX
sour cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping. Place one of the cake
layers on serving plate; spread top with 1 cup of the whipped
topping mixture. Top with 1 cup of the strawberries and remaining cake layer. Spread top and side of cake with remaining whipped topping mixture. Top with remaining 1/2 cup strawberries just before serving. Store any leftover cake in refrigerator.

Frosting tip: For a great looking cake, try using a "crumb coat".  Basically it's a thin layer of frosting applied to a completely cooled cake. Allow this layer to set before you frost and decorate the cake. When the final frosting is applied, it is virtually crumb-free, since any loose crumbs have been already sealed in the crumb coat.  Give it a try the next time you make this cake, for professional-looking results!

We ended up going to Wildwood metro park yesterday, after having breakfast with David and Jill.  We had a blast walking the trails with Rylie.  I really want to take her back there this summer (with the stroller) so I can spend some time walking the trails and getting a bit of a work out.  Then we can pack a lunch and picnic over by the kids playground.  I took a bunch of pictures, I'll have to re-size them and post a few. 

Rylie  rode around on daddys shoulders.  He finally got tired and put her down telling her his shoulders hurt and he needed to take a break.  Well, she took about 4steps, sat down on the trail and said "My legs hurt, I can't walk" and gave daddy this real sad face.  LOL  Let me tell you...that girl can work it.  Daddy turned around picked her up and continued carrying that 35 pound child.  To which she said..."you're the BEST daddy!"  Is she good or what? 

I was suppose to take Rylie to the park this week.  However, Ray took my car to work again today, which leaves me car-less.  His car is here, but I don't have a car seat for Rylie as it is in my vehicle that he took.  Grrrr!  I can't take her on Tuesday because she has a dentist appointment that day.  Wednesday the weather is suppose to get wet.  Thursday I have my breast squashing (mammogram).  And I think the weekend is suppose to be yucky.  So it looks like another week stuck here at home...again.

Have a beautiful week!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the recipe. I had a wee chuckle picturing your wee treasure wrapping daddy round her little finger! lol. I hope you manage to get out soon. Love Pam xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pamal3/almost-40/