Monday, May 7, 2007

Portobello burgers

Mmm, this sounds so good.  I love mushrooms, they just hate me.  I used to eat them all the time with no problems.  Then about 10 years ago, everytime I ate them I ended up getting terrible stomach pains.  Alot like when I eat eggs now.  My tummy must be getting more and more sensitive the older I get.

                  Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Portobello Burgers
Serves: 4
Serve in place of a steak or with lettuce and tomato on toasted whole-grain buns.


INGREDIENTS

4 large Portobello mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, sliced into very thin slivers
1 tsp. fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried, (optional)
1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried, (optional)
1-1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat broiler or grill.
2. Wipe mushrooms with damp cloth. Remove stems.
3. With paring knife, make slits in tops of caps. Stuff slivers of garlic and herbs (if using) into slits.
4. In small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar with salt and pepper to taste. Brush mushrooms with oil mixture.
5. Place mushrooms, cap-side down, on pan and broil or grill until soft and brown, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.


NUTRITION INFO
(per serving)
Calories: 71.6
Fat: 5.5 g
Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
Protein: 3.2 g

Wow!  Just take a look at that nutrition information...Low calories, low fat and lowcarb!  The perfect meal.  Just figures that it's something I love and it's good for you and I CAN'T eat it.  LOL

I've been down working on the house for Stephanie and Joe almost every day this past week.  It looks so nice.  The front bedroom now has 2 coats of paint on it and the front bath has one coat, I think.  The only thing left to paint is the back bathroom and that isn't so bad that it couldn't wait to be done until after they move in.

Steph's aunt and uncle got a new washer, so they are giving her their old one!  YEA!  Now we just have to find them a dryer and they will be all set.  They found a sofa and loveseat in pretty good condition and got the both of them for $30.  We just have to get some new legs for the loveseat because they were broken.  But it is Lazyboy stuff and the fabric is still nice and the cushions comfy.

The only thing that they really need now is a bed.  Not that they don't have one right now, but the people who gave it to them want it back since they are moving to Toledo.  Same people who borrowed money from Ray and still haven't paid it back.  Hm, I guess we should call him and tell him that when he goes to pick up the bedroom set that he should bring the $200 that his wife borrowed to pay their car insurance in December.  Because we sure could use that money right now.

Of course, the kids still need other things...odds and ends type stuff.  End tables, curtains, blinds, etc.  But that is all the kind of stuff they can probably pick up at garage sales and that family members can give to them.  We should have a house warming party for them once it is all done and they are moved in. 

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, so I should just go and prepare my entry now.  I called the doctors office and told them about my little trip to the ER and they want me to come in.  I said it probably wasn't really necessary, but they still wanted to see me.  Ugh, I hate going to the doctor.  However, I know that there are some things that I probably shouldn't take a chance with.  I just hope that he doesn't tell me that he wants me to have a stress test too.  I don't have the time or money for that kind of thing. 

I know, I know...but we've got the kids moving down here and fixing up the house.  Samantha is about to graduate high school and I'd like to do something for her.  Rylie...well, she's three...she keeps me busy every day.  David is doing well, but sometimes I feel like I don't spend enough time with him.  Chris is...well, he's 15...do I need to say more?  He is busy with his friends and I don't see much of him, but I worry about him and what he is doing.  Aimee's baby is due in October and we've had a hard time getting hold of her.  I hope she is okay.  We've tried to call her but can never reach her.

I'm just too busy to do a bunch of tests just to find out that the initial diagnosis of angina was correct.  Too poor for it too, lol.  The pains aren't quite as bad as they were that night.  I've still got to get the nitro script filled, but that is going to have to wait until next week when we can afford it.  This week I have to go and get my blood pressure medications. 

Well, I need to stop rambling and get on with my day.  I'm sitting here talking about nothing...trying to avoid getting started with the chores I've been neglected all week while I was down working on the house for the kids.

Have a beautiful day.
Hugs!
Preview

No comments: