Saturday, June 3, 2006

Are you passive aggressive? Or know someone who is?

I was just reading my email and got the link to this article from ediets.com's Glee Magazine.  It is a pretty good read, whether your passive aggressive or know someone who is.  I, personally, think we can all be a bit this way sometimes.  Here is a sample of the article and a link to it.

Passive Aggression: The Stealth Saboteur
By Carlin Flora
From
Psychology Today
Updated: Saturday, June 3, 2006
Need a therapist? Click here to find one in your area.


In the satiric movie Office Space, smarmy boss Bill Lumbergh is desperate to be liked by his underlings. He even fears them. He tells horrible jokes to ingratiate himself with his charges yet infuriates as he arbitrarily wields power, forcing employees to come in on Saturdays and comply with meaningless bureaucratic policies. Controlling but wimpy, Lumbergh is a comic passive-aggressor.

"When someone punches you in the face, you sure know that's aggression," says Tim Murphy, a psychologist and coauthor of Overcoming Passive-Aggression: How to Stop Hidden Anger From Spoiling Your Relationships, Career and Happiness. "But passive-aggression is very sneaky behavior that people can hide and deny."

From the wife who secretly saturates her husband's food with pepper to the smiling assistant who chirps, "Sure, I'll have that report to you by Friday!" but then — on the brink of the deadline — says the timing is impossible, passive-aggressors are manipulative.    

You can read the rest of the article HERE.

Me?  I am, on occassion, the wife who saturates my husband's food with salt and pepper.  Yeah, it kind of annoys me when everytime I fix his plate, he asks me "Did you salt & pepper it?"  I salt and pepper when I cook, dang it all!  So occassionally I over salt and pepper it, or I don't and then tell him I do.  On my good days, which are more often than not, I just do it like he likes.

Shhhh, don't nark me out!  LOL  How many of you are brave enough to share your passive aggressive behaviours?  Or tell us about someone you know who is.  Yeah, I'm pimping for some comments.  Is that passive aggressive?  LOL

No comments: