Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Kitchen tip--Honey & "I don't like that"

Hello.  Here's a bit of information about using honey. 

About Honey:
To substitute honey for sugar in recipes, start by substituting
up to half of the sugar called for. With a little experimentation,
honey can replace all the sugar in some recipes.

When baking with honey, remember the following:
Reduce any liquid called for by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used.
Add l/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used.
Reduce oven temperature by 25 F to prevent over-browning.

Because of its high fructose content, honey has a higher
sweetening power than sugar. This means you can use less honey
than sugar to achieve the desired sweetness.

When measuring honey, coat the measuring cup with non-stick
cooking spray or vegetable oil before adding the honey.
The honey will slide right out.

To retain honey's wonderfully luxuriant texture, always store
it at room temperature; never in the refrigerator. If your honey
becomes cloudy, don't worry. It's just crystallization, a natural
process. Place your honey jar in warm water until the crystals
disappear. If you're in a hurry, place it in a microwave-safe
container and heat it in the microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes,
stirring every 30 seconds. Remember, never boil or scorch honey.

Last night I made Salisbury steaks and mashed potatoes and salad.  I don't really care for it but Ray really likes it, so I just had salad.  Well, the first thing out of Rylies mouth, as she pointed to the salisbury steak on Rays plate, was "I don't like that!" 

Hm, okay.  So I tell her "Well, if you want your stamp for eating dinner tonight, you have to take at least one bite."  To which she says "I don't like it."  I said, "You've never tried it.  You don't have to take one bite, but then you won't get your stamp."

Well, she thought for a couple seconds and decided she would try a bite of the terrible looking meat.  "Oh!  I like that!"  LOL  Baby girl ended up eating almost half a piece of salisbury steak, with ketchup and mustard, and got her stamp for eating dinner. 

I've been working on my family movie and it's looking pretty good.  I'm going to try to convert it and put it on a disk tonight.  I guess I won't need the whole 2 weeks to find the right song.  When I get it done I'll post it on here so ya'll can watch it.

Have a great day. 
Welcome to any new readers & hugs to all my friends! 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tip! I'm actually going to print this out to keep it on hand. I'm one for trying almost anything to cut down suger and eat healthier. On a side note...I don't care for Salisbury Stk either. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

thx for the tip