Monday, January 28, 2008

Recipe--A few casserole recipes

Good Morning!  The great thing about casseroles is that you could make them up the night before and pop them in the refrigerator.  Then the next day the kids or hubby can turn on the oven and stick it in for you if you're going to be coming home late.  Serve with a simple salad, some bread & butter, and you've got a meal.

BEEF NOODLE CASSEROLE
1/2 of a 1 lb. pkg. egg noodles, uncooked
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 1/2 cup milk
1 (8 oz) container sour cream
1 cup (4oz) shredder cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
Cook noodles as pkg. directs; drain. In dutch oven, over medium heat, brown ground beef; pour off fat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir till tender. Stir in noodles, then remaining ingredients, except cheese. Cook and stir till heated through; top with cheese. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.

For added crunch, add 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained.

TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE

4 ounces dried medium noodles
1 9-1/4-ounce can tuna (water-packed)
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 10-ounce package frozen cut green beans
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 clove garlic, minced
1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup shredded American or process Swiss cheese (2 ounces)

DIRECTIONS

1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, drain and flake tuna. Toss the bread crumbs with margarine or butter; set aside.
3. In a large saucepan combine frozen green beans, mushrooms, green or red pepper, onion, celery, water, bouillon granules, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Meanwhile, stir together milk, cornstarch, and dry mustard. Stir into vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, then stir in cheese until melted. Stir in noodles and tuna.
5. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture around outside edge of casserole. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden. Makes 6 servings.

I think I prefer the simplicity of the first recipe.  So I'd use that recipe, remove the peppers, replace Tuna for the Hamburger and ...viola!  Tuna casserole.

SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE

1/2 lb spaghetti
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 can (10 1/2 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed tomato soup
1 soup can of water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup shredded processed cheese

DIRECTIONS
Cook spaghetti in 4 quarts boiling water 7-8 minutes. Drain and rinse. Brown beef and cook onion and pepper in butter until tender; stir to separate meat particles. Add soups, water and garlic; heat. Blend with 1/2 cup cheese and cooked spaghetti in a 3 quart casserole; top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling and hot. Serves 4-6.

SWISS & CHICKEN CASSEROLE
4 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
2 cups croutons
1 - 1/2 cups Kraft Shredded Swiss Cheese
1 cup sliced celery
2/3 cup Miracle Whip or Miracle Whip Light Dressing
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped onion

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients.
SPOON into 2-qt. casserole.
BAKE 40 min. or until heated through.

That Swiss & Chicken recipe comes from Kraft...I don't know...it just sounds like it needs something more.  Noodles, vegetables...something. 

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND SPINACH CASSEROLE
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Makes 6 servings  Prep: 25 min.  Bake: 35 min.
INGREDIENTS
3/4  pound fresh Italian sausage links
2  10-ounce packages fresh spinach, cooked and well drained, or two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1  19- or 15-ounce can white kidney beans (cannellini) or great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1   small red onion, finely chopped
3/4  cup evaporated skim milk
1/2  cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1  teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1  tablespoon lemon juice
1/4  teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8  teaspoon pepper
1/3  cup fine dry bread crumbs
2   cloves garlic, minced
4  teaspoons margarine or butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
1. In a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat about 8 minutes or until no pink remains, turning often. Drain on paper towels. Slice into bite-size pieces.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine cooked sausage, spinach, beans, onion, milk, 1/4 cup of the Romano or Parmesan cheese, lemon peel, lemon juice, nutmeg, and pepper. Transfer mixture to a greased 2-quart oval or square baking dish.
3. For topping, in a small mixing bowl combine bread crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup of the Romano or Parmesan cheese, garlic, and melted margarine or butter; sprinkle atop casserole. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degrees F oven for 35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.

Well, if you try one of these recipes please come back and let me know what you thought of it.  I did try the spaghetti casserole once.  It was alright, but the sauce didn't really taste too spaghetti-ie...I don't know.  If I make it again I'll probably kick it up a little by adding some more seasoning. 

Speaking of recipes.  Remember when I posted the "Boy Scout Coca-Cola Chicken" recipe?  It was too funny, the ol' man and I were watching some Ramsay re-runs (we just recently discovered his show on the BBC channel).  Well, he went to this restaurant in Ireland or somewhere called Oscar's.  The chef was making ribs cooked in ketchup and Coke.  LOL  Ramsay about had a cow.

Well, I kind of laughed to myself thinking how I had this recipe and was going to make the Boy Scout chicken.  Well, the day I did it Ray (the ol' man) about went off on me.  "Ramsay say's you don't do that..." blah, blah, blah!  I turned and said "Is Ramsay here?  Are you paying me for this dinner?  Tell ol' Ramsay to come in and teach me how to cook proper then!"  LOL  Oh I went off on my lil' Ray-say (<shortened version of "Ray say's Ramsay say's) 

When he pay's me 30,000 pound (I'll take the pound, euro, dollar, whatever) a year to cook, then he can expect to tell me what to do in the kitchen.  I mean what the heck?  I don't attempt to tell him how to install a furnace.  Where did he get the idea he could even come into my kitchen, much less tell me how to do things.

Anyway...back to the Boy Scout Chicken...it was lame.  LOL  I wouldn't waste the meat fixing it again.  I don't know.  I didn't have REAL Coca-cola and used a generic version of cola.  Maybe that was it.  But I was not real thrilled with the taste of it.  It wasn't absolutely terrible.  But it wasn't really tasty either.  So on this one...I have to agree with Ramsay.  However, Ray-say still is NOT allowed in my kitchen.  LOL

Have a great day. 
Welcome to any new readers & hugs to all my friends! 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might have to do a casserole tonight.  I was trying to decide what to do with the ground beef I pulled out.  I've made the first recipe you shared, maybe I'll go with that.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Did you ever figure out a song for your slideshow you are making?

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/monicasmemoirs/midnight-conversations/

Anonymous said...

I am going to try the italian sausage and spinach casserole

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm that Beef Noodle sounds good......think I may try that one soon.