Good afternoon. I've been living with this headache since Monday. Yesterday was the worse, I was nauseous all day long and slept a lot to avoid the pain. I haven't had a headache (migraine) like this in years. It seems to be pinpointed over my left eye at this time and I am patiently waiting for it to go away.
Here are several remedies I have found to help one try to kick the smoking habit.
Diet Methods to Stop Smoking
By changing your dietary lifestyle, you can make an effort to quit smoking. The following guidelines can be followed:-
- Do not consume more of acidic foods. Increase the quantity of alkaline foods in the diet. This changes the food preferences of the taste buds and helps them to adapt themselves to the de-addiction. Foods such as raisins, beets, lima beans, dandelion, etc. are very good for people who are giving up smoking. Other foods that may make it easier for you to quit smoking by increasing your body alkalinity are spinach, beet greens, figs, and almonds.
- Have a good amount of vitamin C intake. This increases the hormones that help the body strengthen. Have a glass of orange juice or grapefruit juice twice daily.
- Sweet foods also help a bit to reduce the urge for smoking. Honey must be liberally used in the diet in different forms.
- Keep your food well supplemented with sources of proteins, amino acids and all the different kinds of vitamins.
- Have a glassful of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it with every meal. This not only helps to digest the meal properly, but it also helps to reduce the urge for smoking after the meal.
- Increase your daily water intake to help eliminate the toxins from your body.
Home Remedies to Quit Smoking
- Whenever you feel the urge of smoking, eat something salty, or lick a little salt with the tip of your tongue. Your craving will go away. If you do this every time you feel like smoking, you will be totally cured of the addiction.
- Grate some radish, strain it and extract its juice. Mix some honey in it. Have this juice twice a day. This is a good remedy for raising the body’s tenacity against smoking.
- Licorice sticks have a placebo effect on smokers. Smokers like to have something in their mouths. So, some experts suggest them to chomp on licorice sticks. These are safe substitutes for the cigarettes. Putting some chocolates in the mouth also help to reduce the urge of smoking. But excessive chocolates are dangerous to health in other respects.
- Chew on sugarcane stubs as a substitute for cigarettes. Sugarcane stubs are very harmless, and their sweet taste helps to reduce the urge for smoking.
- Aromatic oils and fragrances are very good for smokers. A massage with aromatherapy oils can really go a long way in curbing the smokers’ urges.
- When there is nothing around, experts also suggest a certain breathing therapy to stop the craving for cigarettes. When you have an urge, sit down in a calm place. Take ten slow and deep breaths. By doing so, you are stimulating your respiratory system. This will slowly help your urge for smoking to subside.
- Foreign herbs such as valerian, chamomile, hops, skullcap, lobelia and peppermint are also very beneficial in suppressing the urge for smoking.
- In the southeastern United States, particurally in Appalachia, people who want to stop smoking chew on a birch branch to help curb the oral fixation related to the smoking habit.
- You may have heard about offices in Japan circulating essential oils of Lemon, Peppermint and Cypress through the air conditioning systems to keep office workers alert. Well, an interesting side effect, it seemed to reduce their urge to smoke..
Welcome to any newcomers & hugs to all my friends!