Saturday, January 26, 2008

A little something different--Song Challenge

I've been visiting other journals that have weekly challenges and all kinds of neat things when I thought "That's it!  That is how I will solve my problem."

Here is what I've been working on.  I've scanned tons of old family pictures and have been wanting to make a cd of them to music.  The thing is, I've been stuck on this for months because I can't find the right song.  The cd will start with some childhood pictures of my mom and dad, go into their elopement and then our family pictures.

I'd really like to get this done before Feb. 29th.  It is also the anniversary of my fathers death.  Literally the first, since he died on the 29th in 2004, and that is a Leap Year. 

It's been a challenge for me because there are a lot of great songs out there that I really love.  However, my father was a bit of a, ummm, "difficult" man.  Let's just put it this way, for the first 20 some years of my life he was a drinker and had quite a temper.  However, that doesn't change the fact that he was our dad.  He had a major impact on our lives, good and bad.  He did the best he could with what he knew.

I can't find the right song.  So if you have any ideas submit them in an entry titled "Song Challenge" with a link to this entry.  Come back here and leave a comment with the link to your submission.  It would be great if you could include the song lyrics in your entry and perhaps, if you can, a link to listen to the song. 

Best yet, but not absolutely necessary is if you have the song in your collection.  That way if I choose it and it's not something I have you could send me a copy of it.  Although if it is the absolute perfect song, I won't mind going to buy a copy of the cd to get the song.

Even if you don't have a song to submit, please share this Song Challenge with everyone you know.  The more who participate, the more likely I am to find that perfect song. 

In the meantime, I'll be working on a little something (a graphic) for the winner of this Challenge.  I'm going to give this 2 weeks and hopefully I will be able to find the perfect song for my cd by then.  Thank you for taking the time to read this and taking up my challenge.

Welcome to any newcomers & hugs to all my friends!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

P.S. ~ Some great ideas already.  I am using Windows Movie maker.  I can just drag the pictures I've scanned and put them in whatever order.  I can then also drag a music clip and put it in the program.  I can set the pictures to play (show) for however long I want to, so that if a certain line comes up I can play a particular picture longer, if I choose to. 

I used this program to create a great movie for my father-in-laws funeral.  I was then able to make duplicate DVD's so we could give a copy to all of the brothers.  I want to make this DVD to celebrate the life of my parents together to give to my Mom and brothers.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great idea!  I've done many movies of this nature and always changed the songs throughout.  Depending on the 'time'.  I did one for my niece for her graduation and we did baby type songs, songs for her name, camping songs... they went with the pictures I used.  Might be easier then trying to find the perfect 1.
hugs and good luck
d

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a challenge.  "Those were the days" comes to mind and not that awful version that Edith and Archie did.  The one that goes "those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance, forever and a day".  Then again , an instrumental might be better.  Guess it will hit you once you have the pictures all selected.
Great Idea, I should do a lot of scanning myself - Lots of luck.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi... my suggestion is a lttle different.... I would visi Smilebox.com.  There you can assemple online picture scrapbooks and postcards and things.  BUT!  They often put their scrapbooks to music... so if you go, choose a scrapbook, then look on the right hand side toolbar, you will see 3 or 4 choices of music.  Just click play or "MORE" and you will go to their list of choices... they really simplify it and put it in neat groups!  I think it will help you!!

Also, I would really consider looking into some Christian music.  The song "I Can Only Imagine" (by Mercy Me-I think) is beautiful... Walk By Fatih by Jeremy Camp...   and there are many, many more.

I will have to check back soon and see how its going... but I really think you should check out that Smilebox and see if that helps make things easier for you!!!!

Good luck and God bless-
Amanda

Anonymous said...

May want to go with a song or music that your parents enjoyed.  Something they liked to dance to or considered their song.

I think Elvis's "Memories" has beautiful music and words.  But I don't have any way to share it with you.  

"Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind,
Memories sweetened through the ages just like wine."

All the best to you!  What a beautiful project to create.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I was just writing you an e-mail and I was going to suggest putting out for j-land to see if they have any suggestions.  But, I see you've already done so.

Monica

Anonymous said...

I like those were the days also.