Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Time flies...

Well, happy over the hump day!  Here I am thinking I was a day behind when I realized that it is actually Wednesday and I am 2 days behind.  Duh!  That's what happens when you combine a holiday week and a blonde.  Oh well, time to catch up. 

For Monday's Meal idea's I have 2.  One is chicken for kids and the other is a yummy sounding, albeit a bit involved grilled chicken recipe involving some dry vermouth.

This one for the kids comes from Kraft foods.

Mozza-Chicken Strips

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
Serves: 4

3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3x1-inch strips
1 pouch Shake'N Bake Extra Crispy Seasoned Coating Mix
1/2 cup Kraft Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup Kraft Ranch Dressing


PREHEAT
oven to 400°F. Coat chicken strips with coating mix as directed on package.

PLACE
in single layer on foil-covered baking sheet.

BAKE
20 min.; sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking 5 min. or until cheese is melted. Serve with the dressing for dipping.

This grilled chicken recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens.

Grilled Spring Equinox Chicken Salad

Prep: 45 min.
Marinate: 30 min.
Grill: 12 min.

Ingredients
1/2   bunch fresh cilantro (2 cups packed)
3  tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
1  tablespoon lime juice
1   tablespoon ground cumin
1  tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1  tablespoon crushed garlic
1/4   teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4  teaspoon salt
1/2  cup dry vermouth
6  skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1  cup brown basmati rice
1  medium red sweet pepper
1  medium green sweet pepper
1  medium yellow or orange sweet pepper
4  cups spinach, cleaned, stemmed, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1  15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2  cup whole kernel corn, cooked and drained
1/2  cup fat-free dairy sour cream
2  teaspoons fat-free milk
4   green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)

Directions

1.
For Spring Equinox Sauce, combine cilantro, oil, lime juice, cumin, ginger, garlic, red pepper, and salt in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth.

2.
For marinade, combine vermouth and 3 tablespoons of the sauce in a medium bowl. Place chicken in bowl, turn to coat chicken. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3.
Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions; set aside. Seed and quarter the sweet peppers; set aside. Prepare charcoal or gas grill for medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade; reserve marinade. Cook chicken on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, brushing once with reserved marinade halfway through grilling time. Discard remaining marinade. Lightly brush peppers with 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil. Place peppers on the grill rack next to the chicken and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove peppers and chicken from grill as each are done, and transfer to a cutting board. Slice the peppers and chicken breasts into 1/2-inch strips.
4.
To serve, mound 1/2 cup cooked rice in the center of each of six dinner plates. Surround rice with some spinach. Divide grilled chicken, peppers, pinto beans, and corn among the plates. Combine remaining Spring Equinox Sauce, sour cream, and milk in a small bowl; drizzle some of the mixture over each salad. Sprinkle each salad with green onions. Makes 6 servings.
Food exchanges:
2 vegetable, 2 meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, for what should have been yesterday's entry...

                          Preview

A cleaning tip, or two, that you may find useful.  As I say on my Web page, these are tips that have been emailed to me, or that I have found on the Internet.  I have not tried all of them and do NOT guarantee their effectiveness.  If you do try one and it works, or if you have another one that works for you, let me know.
 
Fading of dark clothing: Turn dark clothes inside out and wash in the coolest water possible; dry on lowest heat. For all black clothes, throw in a box of black Rit® dye every 8-10 washes or so to keep black clothes black.
 
For Monday's Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about doing the Rit dye in your washer.  I'm sure it works really well on keeping your blacks good and black.  However, if you do it, be sure you clean the tub of your washing machine really well.  Otherwise your whites might start looking really gray.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
On Monday Ray was sitting at the patio table outside reading the newspaper.  I decided that since it was getting so hot, 93 on Sunday, that it was time to set the pool up.  The "pool" is about 6 feet round and about 2 1/2 feet high.  Rylie wasn't too crazy about it last year, but I sure loved it, lol. 
 
So I spent the morning cleaning the garage (okay, okay, so it's not really a garage.  It is an 8x10 foot metal shed.)...so I cleaned the garage and got the pool out.  Ray helped me move some of the bigger stuff, we threw some junk out, and everything is nice (well, better) organized now.
 
Then we pumped up the pool and began to fill it.  Later on, as the pool was still filling up, I was cleaning out the coolers we use for camping and Rylie was playing in the yard right behind me.  I turned around to check on her and what do you think I saw?
 
Yep, this little white bum climbing over the side of the pool and getting in.  There her diaper was sitting on the driveway right next to the pool.  I should have yelled at her for getting in without an adult, but I was laughing too hard.  I don't think she remembered that last year we wore swimsuits.  It just looked like a big bath to her.  Although with it being filled from the spigot, I'm sure it didn't feel like a bath, lol.
 
I asked her, "Is it cold?"  Shaking her head no and then yes, she said "cooooal".  It was freaking freezing!  And she actually wanted to stay in there and play!  LOL 
 
So yesterday we went outside to check out the garden and sit at the patio table and she did the same thing.  She reached down and open the tabs on her diaper and took off for the pool.  I had to stop her quick though when I saw the little surprise inside...lol.  Isn't there a commercial that says that?  "the surprise inside"....lol, I hope they don't have the same surprise.
 
Well, have a great Wednesday.  Friday is just two days away! 
 
Hugs & love,
Preview

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh what a cute story that is about Rylie. I sure hope you got some pictures. Thanks for those 2 great recipes. I have been eating tons of salad and I always love getting new recipes. I think my daughter will like the Mozza-Chicken Strips. Have a wonderful Wednesday.