Tuesday, May 16, 2006

                               Preview

A cleaning tip, or two, that you may find useful.  As I say on my Web page, these are tips that have been emailed to me, or that I have found on the Internet.  I have not tried all of them and do NOT guarantee their effectiveness.  If you do try one and it works, or if you have another one that works for you, let me know.

  Down Comforters / Jackets:   These can, indeed, be washed rather than dry cleaned. Any stains, such as the grime on the cuffs of a jacket, should be spot-cleaned with a pre-treater, then rinsed with water. Wash the item in the gentle cycle with mild detergent. The key is to ensure the down is rinsed extremely well. Then, place in the dryer rather than line drying. This allows the feathers to plump up again. Place large knotted towels or tennis balls in the dryer with it to help fluff the down. The only caution is, if the item has weak seams or fragile fabric it could "explode" and leave you with only down. If there are stains remaining, place it (on a blanket) outdoors in full sunshine for a day or two. This often helps. If not, at least your comforter will have that outdoor fresh smell.

Have a nice day.

Hugs & love,

Preview

*Well I got to thinking about this exploding down thing and this is what I came up with.  Let it line dry until it is mostly dry, and then put it in the dryer with a knotted towel or tennis balls to fluff the down. 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An explosion could be cool though. ~ Mike