Friday, December 16, 2005

More homemade gift ideas

OMG?!!!  Okay, I am so confused...is it Thursday or Friday today?  Whew!  Just got back from checking the calendar, okay, okay.  For a minute there I was all messed up.  I was thinking it was Thursday....in 1986, lol.

Okay, so I have a few more homemade gifts for anyone interested.  That way if you have some free time this weekend, and you won't really need a lot of time to do either one of these, you can make a few gifts for some folks on your list.

Okay, this first I am putting here because I keep hearing on the news the type of things that you should keep in your car in case you get stranded in the snow.  Along with the shovel and kitty litter, they recommend that you keep something high protein in the car, like trail mix.

Trail Mix

Combine 1 Cup each of the following in large roasting pan:

Chopped dried apricots

Golden raisins

Dark raisins

Chopped dried pineapple

Chopped dried pears

Dried banana slices

Pecan halves

Broken cashews

Peanuts

Melt 1/4 cup magarine in small saucepan. Add 1 tsp. seasoned salt. Stir. Drizzle over the fruit mixture. Stir to coat well.

Sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Makes 9 1/2 cups.

Variation: For added flavor, add 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce or 2 tsp. barbecue sauce or 2 tsp. teriyaki sauce to melted margarine.

This one is for 2 cups of Chili Seasoning packed in a jar with instructions.  I've never added baked beans to my chili, but that is what this calls for. 

Actually, I prefer my chili "bean free", lol.  I guess I am more of a meat-atarian, I eat as few vegetables as I can.  Poor little plants, they are creatures too, ya know?  LOL

Chili Seasoning

If you like mild chili, cut the chili powder down; if you like it spicy, increase it or add crushed hot pepper flakes to taste.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups flour

1/2 cup dried onion (flakes or minced) 2

/3 cup chili powder

3 Tbsp. beef bouillon powder or salt

1 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp pepper

2tsp sugar  

To assemble this gift in a jar, mix all ingredients, stirring thoroughly to combine.  Pack in a 2 cup jar and attach gift tag which include the following instructions.  

Instructions: 

Brown or microwave 1 pound of ground beef.  Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the chili seasoning mix over beef, and stir well to thoroughly coat the meat with the mixture.  Add a 19 oz. can of crushed or cut tomatoes; a 15 oz. can of undrained kidney beans; a 14 oz. can of baked beans.  Simmer or reheat in the microwave for 20 minutes or until flavors are mixed and chili is hot.  ENJOY!  

I will try to get back on here later and post the pictures of Ray and Rylie sledding.  It was the first time we let her play in the snow.  She was just too little last year.  

As it gets closer and closer to the holiday I am not sure how much time I will have to get on here and keep posting new entries.  I will try though.   

Have a safe and happy weekend!

No comments: