Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tuesday Cleaning Tip~Buckeye recipe

Preview

Mothball Substitute: Take your leftover soap slivers and put them in a vented plastic bag. You place the bag with seasonal clothes before packing them away. Not only will the scent prevent them from moth harm but also they'll smell great when you pull them out.

This is the Buckeye recipe I make every year.  I originally got the recipe from the local newspaper, The Toledo Blade.  Although at this point I have been making them so long that I just get all my ingredients out and mix them (without measuring) until it looks like the consistency that I want.

This year I didn't have the paraffin on hand when I made my buckeyes.  So to keep the chocolate from getting too hard (after dipping) I just added about 1-2 Tablespoons of peanut butter to the melted chocolate. 

Buckeyes

1 pound butter
3 pounds powdered sugar
2 pounds peanut butter
1/3 pound paraffin
24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

~Melt butter.  Add powdered sugar and peanut butter, be sure to mix well.   ~Melt paraffin over low heat.  Add chocolate and after it has melted into the paraffin mix well.  Set aside, but keep melted.  

~Using a teaspoon at a times, roll peanut butter mixture into perfectly round balls.  Pierce eachone with a round toothpick. Refrigerate at least half an hour. 

~Using the toothpick as a handle, dip each ball into the melted chocolate, being careful not to immerse it all the way into the chocolate.  Leave a small circle of the peanut butter uncovered; the circle will resemble the buckeye's "eye".  When the chocolate has hardened, remove the toothpicks and gently pinch with fingers to close the hole.  

This recipe will make a lot of buckeye's.  I usually make mine just before Thanksgiving and then freeze some to use for Christmas.        

No comments: