Monday, January 16, 2006

Menu idea

Okay, so I woke up this morning and got on here and was trying to figure out what "helpful" idea I could do today.  I think I am starting to get writers block, lol.  So I went around searching for a few yummy sounding recipes.  I have this typical Menu in mind for today, but I wanted to make it a bit different.  Here is the Menu, you've probably all made this a million times.

Meatloaf

Mashed Potatoes

Greenbean casserole

Applesauce

Typical, normal, boring...y-a-w-n, right?  Okay how about a few recipe ideas for this meal?

A-1 Meatloaf

Ingredients:  

2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 tbs. A-1 steak sauce
2 tsp. salt
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3 tbs. parsley flakes
1 small onion, minced
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup diced green pepper

SAUCE:

Mix 2 tbs. A-1 steak sauce with 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce.

  Instructions:   Mix all meatloaf ingredients together with 1/2 sauce mixture. Blend well. Pat meatloaf into a 9" loaf pan. Spread remaining sauce mixture over top of meatloaf. Bake in 400 degree oven for one hour. 
Notes:  

You may want to cook this meatloaf for one hour and an half so the edges will be blackened.

Greenbean and artichoke casserole

Ingredients:  

6 cans of greenbeans
3 cans of artichokes
16 oz. olive oil(I use light)
16 oz. Italian bread crumbs
12 oz. parmesan cheese
1 whole lemon strained
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 large can of Durkee onions

Instructions:  

Chop the artichokes by hand or with a mini food processor. If a mini proc. is used it might pulverize them, but you get the same taste.
Mix all ingredients together, except the onions. It should be a good consistency, not dry but not too much oil. Pour in a deep 9 x 13 pan. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 min. Sprinkle the onions over the casserole and cook an additional 5 min. The onions should be crispy.

I haven't tried this greenbean recipe yet, but it sounds like it makes a lot.  Depending on the size of your family, how much they like greenbeans, whether or not they eat leftovers...you may want to halve this recipe. 

I love artichokes though.  I bet this isn't low carb though, lol.  Guess I will make this the first day I am done with the low carb lifestyle.  Or look into altering it a wee bit.  Hmmm, gotta go check the carb content on artichokes, it's sounding good for breakfast, lol.

Okay, I was going to go look for an apple cake recipe instead of just applesauce.  But I accidently hit the save button in the middle of doing this.  Okay, come back if your already here I will go look for something a little more yummy than applesauce.

How a dessert that is suppose to be low fat. 

Chocolate Applesauce Cake

Ingredients:  


1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
3 Tbs reduced-calorie margarine, melted
1 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup lite whipped topping
  Instructions:  
Preheat oven to 350¿F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.


Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and sugar. Beat together egg substitute, margarine and applesauce; blend into dry ingredients.


Spoon mixture into pan and smooth top. Bake until cake feels slightly firm in center, about 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into 8 pieces. Top each piece with 1 tablespoon of whipped topping.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add fresh mushrooms to green beans

Anonymous said...

Does that really say Chocolate Applesauce Cake??? I saw meatloaf and was instantly turned off. . . but chocolate applesauce Cake. . . I must make that. :)

Amanda
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so good.  Yummy yummy.  I used to cook a lot but I have 3 kids two don't eat meat and one doesn't eat meat or cheese. So I gave up cooking. LOL  My boy thank heaven he eats it all.  I love I'll keep reading.  

Anonymous said...

Hi!  I bookmarked your journal, it is very helpful!  I'm going to have to try that oreo cake AND the applesauce cake!  I love baking, not crazy about cooking though!  Thank you for your comment on my journal :)

Amy

Anonymous said...

Jill:
Your Sidebar Looks AWESOME!!!! WOW! You did a Supurb Job with it! It's VERY Cute!
Hugs
Brittany